Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape
The Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape greatly reduces and can even eliminate the need for back purging. The welding tape is composed of two adhesive areas on the outside edges and a center strip of fiberglass resistant up to 1,022°F (550°C) that is capable of withstanding applications between 300 and 600 Amps.
Because the Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape is composed of a flexible fiberglass fabric, it can conform to a number of surfaces and shapes. Unlike other welding tapes such as ceramic tapes which develop stress points between pieces, the Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape is consistent in thickness creating a continuous bead during welding. Ideal for plate, sheet and pipe welding, the Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape can be used for pressure vessels, large bore pipes, shipbuilding, fabrication and many more applications.
The Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape is suitable for SMAW (stick), TIG and MIG welding processes, and is compatible with carbon, alloy and stainless steels as well as aluminum. The Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape greatly reduces weld set up time and ensures that weld slag is safely collected in an enclosed weld pool, resulting in a high quality weld. Once welding is complete, the weld backing tape can be removed from the backside of the root gap, without the need for post-weld grinding or back gouging.
HOW IT WORKS
- Step 1: Peel away backing tape covers from both sides. Gently coil the adhesive tape edges back and push the woven fiberglass strip outwards.
- Step 2: Center and apply the woven fiberglass strip firmly to the backside of the root gap.
- Step 3: Beginning from the center and slowly moving outward, apply the adhesive aluminum tape to the area surrounding the root gap, providing a smooth, air-free seal.
The Fiberglass Weld Backing Tape consists of two outer adhesive strips separated by a woven fiberglass center strip. The adhesive edges stick to the area surrounding the root gap with the woven fiberglass strip being positioned to the backside of the root gap.
SHEET TO SHEET APPLICATION
- Reduces setup time
- Eliminates/minimizes need for back purging
- Reduces post-weld grinding
- Cuts down on post-weld clean up
- Increases weld productivity, reduces costs
- Heat resistant